04 April 2011

Review: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

So, I just finished reading Water for Elephants today. I know alot of you were anxious to see what I thought about it, so here it is :)  Here is the summary from the back of the book:
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
"As a young man, Jacob Jankowski was tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth.  I was the early part of the Great Depression, and for Jacob the circus was both his salvation and a living hell.  A veterinary student just shy of a degree, he was put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie.  It was there that he met Marlena, the beautiful equestrian star married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer.  And he met Rosie, and untrainable elephant who was the great gray hope for this third-rate traveling show.  The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was ultimately their only hope for survival."

I love this book!!  To me this book will become a classic, such as To Kill a Mockingbird or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  Throughout the book, the story switches from the old Jacob to the young Jacob.  It is a little confusing at times to tell which is talking, the old Jacob or young Jacob, but most of the time it was pretty obvious.  Another thing I love about this book is the love triangle.  I love romance books and this is definitely a romance book.  I was really surprised at the end when Marlena did what she did just to be with Jacob.  I had mixed emotions about that.  I was glad that Marlena and Jacob could finally be together, but the way she accomplished that is really pretty sad.  This book not only has romance, but it also has a little history thrown into the mix.  The book is set in the Great Depression and it is portrayed really well in the book.  The relationship between Rosie and Jacob was also really sweet and cute.  Overall, I thought it was a really good book although there were some parts I wish would not have been included in the story.

RATING:




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I really need to read this book. Especially since its becoming a movie. Did you know Water for Elephants was filmed in my hometown? I didn't get to see Robert Pattinson though. Now I feel I have an obligation to read this book. I can't wait!

~Happy Reading!~
www.abookaddictshaven.blogspot.com

About Me

Total Pageviews

Upcoming Reviews

Sing by Vivi Greene

Ahoy Mateys!

Hey guys! My name is Cierra and I'm a southern college YA bookie. Thanks for stopping by Books Ahoy. Here you'll find reviews, giveaways, interviews, and more! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy your stay! :)
Follow on Bloglovin
Follow on Bloglovin

Rating System

AMAZING!!! Go get this book right now!!

Great! Highly Recommend

It's ok. Borrow from a friend material.

Not that good but at least read the blurb.

Leave it on the shelf!

Currently Looting


Sing by Vivi Greene

Steal Me Loot!

Me Fellow Mateys!

Designed by